Croydon Bibliographies for Regional Survey January 2003
 
Number 82 The Bromley Naturalists' Society and the Sutton Scientific Society ISSN 0309 - 8591
 
Published irregularly at Croydon by the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society Limited, registered office : 96a Brighton Road, SOUTH CROYDON, Surrey CR2 6AD

Edited by Paul W Sowan, CNHSS Librarian
Go directly to:  
Introductory text CNHSS Home Page
Bromley Naturalists' Society CNHSS Archives Page
Sutton Scientific Society  
Sutton Natural History Society Index of CBRS issues
Sutton Literary and Scientific Society Next issue of CBRS
  Previous issue of CBRS

The Bromley Naturalists' Society and the Sutton Scientific Society

Whereas the Croydon Microscopical Club, founded in April 1870, renamed the Croydon Microscopical and Natural History Club in 1877, and the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society in 1901, continues to thrive in the 21st century, societies having similar aims in the neighbouring London Boroughs of Bromley and Sutton had short lives. Our own library and records reveal the following.

The Bromley Naturalists' Society

The Bromley Naturalists' Society appears to have been founded in or by 1888, but not to have survived beyond 1914. It is mentioned in E.L.S. Horsborough, 1971, Bromley, Kent [Reprint of 1929 edition] in page 297 where it is stated that the Society operated 1888 to 1914.

The Society issued four 'Lists' of local fauna and flora, as follows …

  1. H.A. Soames, 1895, Mammalia, Aves and Filices of the Bromley district. Bromley Naturalists' Society List 1: 8pp [CNHSS (photocopy)]
  2. A.S. Kennard, nd, Mollusca and Algae of the Bromley district. Bromley Naturalists' Society List 2: paginated 9 - 12 [CNHSS (photocopy)]
  3. L.F. Hill and H.H. Melon, nd, Macro-Lepidoptera (Butterflies and Moths) of the Bromley District. Bromley Naturalists' Society List 3: 32pp [CNHSS]
  4. J.J. Scargill, 1898, Flowering plants of the Bromley district. Bromley Naturalists' Society List 4: 32pp [CNHSS]

J.J. Scargill also wrote the following …

J.J. Scargill, 1898, What can be done to save our fauna and flora from unnecessary destruction? Trans. South Eastern Union of Scientific Societies for 1897, 8 - 11 [Reprinted from the Tunbridge Wells Advertiser, 29th May and 5th June, 1897]

Our own Society's Library holds original or photocopies of these lists, as indicated within brackets above.

[Go to top of page]

Sutton Scientific Society (1880s)

Little is known about the Sutton Scientific Society, although it issued at least one printed published paper (1883), and report and rules (1885), and held at least one excursion jointly with the Geologists' Association (1886).

Sutton Scientific Society, 1885, Report, rules, &c. Sutton: 31pp [BL]

H. Hutchins French, 1887, A paper on bournes: read before members of the above Society, 19th October 1883. Sutton Scientific Society: 31pp [CNHSS]

H. Hutchins French, 1887, Excursion to Ewell and Epsom, Saturday, 1st May 1886 [In conjunction with the Sutton Scientific Society] Proc. Geologists' Association 9(8), 532 - 534 [CNHSS]

H. Hutchins French, 1888, Excursion to Gomshall, Netley Heath, and Clandon. Saturday, June 25th, 1887. Proc. Geologists' Association 10(4), 182 - 186 [Surrey: sands / chalk / gravels]

H.H. French is listed in W.R. Church's (1880) street directory at Florenceville, Grove Road, Sutton, although this source, whilst noting other groups, has no mention of a scientific society.

[Go to top of page]

Sutton Natural History Society

There has also been a Sutton Natural History Society. This is mentioned in D.B. Baker, 2000, Sutton Natural History Society, Newsletter of the Society for the History of Natural History 66, page 11.

[Go to top of page]

Sutton Scientific and Literary Society

A Sutton Scientific and Literary Society is mentioned in Hardwicke's Science Gossip 5, ns, on page 32, and in the Official Yearbook of Scientific and Learned Societies 1889 - 1903 [CNHSS]

* Items marked with [CNHSS] or [BL] are held in our Library or in the British Library respectively.

Paul W Sowan

[Go to top of page]

Last updated April 17th 2003
Copyright © 2003 Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society Limited